Garage doors are important to keep your vehicles inside your garage safe and secure. However, a lot of wear and tear can happen over time. Dents are one of the common problems that can happen to your garage door. When you garage door is dented, the appeal of your home also suffers to some extent. Even if doesn’t seem like a big issue to you, it can cause a problem if you are planning to sell your house in future. So, here are some methods on how to repair dented garage door.
How to Repair Dented Garage Door
If you have a large dent in the garage door, then you will have to replace the door as soon as possible. But you can fix the smaller dents by yourself. You just have to know the exact way how to repair dented garage door. Below are two different methods to try.
DIY Methods For Repairing Garage Doors
You might already have the essential things that are required for repairing small dents in your garage door. There are some methods that you can use for fixing these dents. These are:
For the first method, you will need a rubber mallet, wooden block, fine-grit sandpaper, paint, primer, putty knife and patching material. After you have all these, you have to:
- First wash the area with a solution of detergent and warm water. Then allow it to dry fully.
- You have to place the wooden block over the dent and tap it with the help of the mallet for evening the dent.
- Now, sand that part to even it out, and prep for painting.
- You will now require the patching material for covering the dented area. To make it even, use the putty knife. Let it dry and then again sand it down. Proceed to paint the door afterwards.
For this method, you will need a heat source, compressed air and aluminum foil. Once you have collected all these materials, you need to:
- Wash the area with a solution of detergent and warm water. Now, allow it to dry completely.
- Then, put a strip of the aluminum foil over the dent.
- Now heat up the foil evenly using a heat source.
- After one minute, remove the foil and then spray the dent with the compressed air in upside down way for 30 seconds.
Both of these dent repairing methods are quite easy and fast to do. But it can only work on small dents on the garage doors. This may not work if you have a stubborn dent or a large one.
You should now know how to repair dented garage door. When you have dents in your garage door, you can repair it following these two methods. However, if the dents are large in size or stubborn ones, then you might need a professional help to get it fixed.